Pizza is by far my favorite meal. Who's with me? This plant-based beauty is topped with all of the veggies your heart desires and the added bonus of a super food! If you haven't had hemp hearts before and wondering how to incorporate them into savory foods, try topping them on your next pizza. Hemp hearts are full of protein and omega-3 essential fatty acids. They're also an easily digestible source of essential amino acids!
I used Manitoba Harvest's hemp hearts in honor of Earth Month because they're a Certified B-Corp. Their sustainability mission is one I think we all can get behind: "Everything we do is influenced by how it will impact the community and environment around us". They also work one-on-one with their farmers in Canada and always cultivate non-GMO seeds.
Reusable stasher bags come in handy more than once while making this pizza. You can use them to store fresh dough in the fridge or freezer, and again when you're done to save slices for later... if it lasts that long 😉. And, stasher is a B Corp too!
Gluten Free Pizza with Hemp Hearts
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp. honey or organic sugar
- 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 2½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- Marinara sauce (I used Victoria's Marinara)
- Veggies (I used zucchini, mushrooms, spinach and red pepper)
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts on top
- Add all dough ingredients to a large mixing bowl
- Fold with hands -- this step gets a little messy!
- Add a small amount of extra flour to a cutting board
- Knead the dough until a ball is formed and dust with extra flour
- Either store in a stasher bag in the fridge or freeze for future use!
- When you're ready to bake your pizza, preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- If the dough is frozen, put it in the microwave with stasher partially open and set to defrost for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Press dough onto a non-stick baking sheet or pizza stone to form a 1/4 inch thick circle
- Cover with sauce and toppings
- Pop it in the oven for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown on the edges
- Top with hemp hearts, cut, and enjoy!
If I manage to save any slices, my stasher keeps them fresh overnight in the fridge.