This homemade dog treat recipe is so easy, with just 4 basic ingredients. Plus, the equal portion of each ingredient makes it simple to scale up or down, depending on your need.
If dogs could speak, they’d tell us to make these treats in bulk and freeze in a Stasher bag or bowl until they’re needed. We typically take out a week’s worth of treats at a time and store them in the fridge — fresh noms on demand makes for a happy dog!
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup pureed sweet potato (store-bought baby food works)
- 1 cup grated carrot (~2 large)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Yield: ~30 treats
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit; cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Add all ingredients to a Stasher 4-Cup Bowl and mix until combined.
- Using a tablespoon, form the dough into walnut-sized balls then flatten slightly to ~1/2 inch thickness.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until treats are set.
- We mixed the ingredients in a Stasher bowl, then did a quick hand wash / dry and used the same bowl for storing the treats — fewer dishes to pile up!
- Substitute unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin puree, or other varieties of baby food for the sweet potato puree. If your pet is sensitive to foods, avoid ingredients that bother their tummy.
- We hear horses love these treats, too!