Like with my last recipe, the Sous Vide Cosmo, this cocktail is another delicious holiday drink with booze infused right inside a stasher bag. It’s the busiest time of year, right? So no need to be doing lots of dishes just to enjoy a tasty libation!
Homemade infusions are wonderful for a few reasons. You can tweak them to your personal tastes, they are free from all those nasty preservatives, AND if you make it in a stasher bag that means fewer toxins too! Better for you. Better for the planet. Just like stasher!
What's great about stasher bag infusions with sous vide, is you get to cheat. This recipe would take about a week to make but you’ll get it done in just a few hours. You can also do everything in the stasher bag. You can infuse the booze, mix your cocktail, and if it’s a party of one, you can drink right out of the bag.
A little historical note about flips. You don’t see them as much anymore with the concerns around raw egg. But if you have a clean workspace, wash your hands frequently, and use pasteurized eggs, there's no need to worry. This is a fabulous drink, and if you love eggnog, you will love flips.
Okay, let’s make this delicious cocktail!
Vanilla Butternut Infused Rum
- 1 pound butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups spiced rum
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 10 allspice berries
- Add the butternut squash to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake it for 45 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Add the cooked butternut squash, rum, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice berries to a large stasher bag. Seal, removing as much excess air as possible.
- Place the bag in a medium pot, covered with water. Using a thermometer, bring the temperature up to 150 degrees F then cook the mixture for at least three hours. You can also use a sous vide device but it is not required.
- After the mixture has cooked, strain out the infused rum, leaving the solids behind. This is easy to do with the bag itself and we all love having less dishes to wash, right?
- Chill the rum.
Vanilla Butternut Flip
- 11/2 ounces Vanilla Butternut Rum
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka
- Crushed ice
- Nutmeg for garnish
- You can make this cocktail in batches of two in most shakers, but the ingredient list above is for a single cocktail.
- Add the infused rum, egg, brown sugar, vodka, and ice to a stasher bag. Seal the bag and shake it for about 20 seconds, making sure the egg fully mixes in. It must be well incorporated with the alcohol for food safety reasons.
- Strain into a old fashioned glass.
- Top with freshly grated nutmeg.
And when you’re sipping this delicious flip and drunk dialing your ex, remember to tell them how you just saved the landfill from another bag that takes 500 years to decompose. Because the best drunk dials are the ones with a moral high ground!