Beat the Heat: 3 Delish DIY Frozen Treats for #PlasticFreeJuly
So, you’ve made it through the first two weeks of #PlasticFreeJuly. Go you! Seriously, that’s no small feat. As you continue to REset your summer — and your life! — with waste-free updates, it’s also important to REward yourself. And now, it’s time to do just that!
So, what goes better with #PlasticFreeJuly and summer than some truly delicious frozen treats? We’ve put together 3 DIY recipes you can make right in your favorite endlessly reusable Stasher bags — so you can keep cool even on the hottest of days. Read on for the recipes!
A Two-Ingredient Ice Cream Recipe in Under 15 Minutes (For Real!)
Making ice cream in a Stasher bag is a fun activity for kids, a great portable dessert idea for picnics at the park (a cooler can keep your ice cream chilled), or an easy way to satisfy an ice cream craving. This recipe makes a generous single serving, but you can comfortably double it for a treat for two.
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp sugar or honey to taste
Add ins for flavor:
- Vanilla: ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Strawberry: ¼ cup chopped strawberries, ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate: 2tsp cocoa powder, ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Mint chocolate chip: ⅛ cup mini chocolate chips, a few drops of peppermint extract
Experiment with your own combinations: crushed cookies or candy, flavorings, and fruits!
- Place ice cream mixture inside a Stasher bag — we recommend a sandwich size.
- Seal firmly (try to squeeze out excess air).
- Nest inside a Half Gallon Stasher.
- Add 3 cups of crushed ice and ⅓ cup rock salt (normal table salt will work in a pinch!) to the Half Gallon Stasher.
- Shake, squish and flip the bag gently for 10 minutes, or until the ice cream mixture has hardened to your liking. Subtract a few minutes for soft serve, add a few minutes for a harder texture.
- Drizzle honey on top.
- Eat the ice cream right out of the bag, or transfer to a bowl or cone. Add additional toppings if desired.
You’ve just made your own ice cream in under 15 minutes!
Craving a chocolate bar, but want to be a little healthier? Yogurt bark to the rescue! You can add different toppings to customize, too.
- 12 oz./1 ½ cups (for Half Gallon) or 6 oz./ ¾ cup (for Sandwich) Greek yogurt (flavored or unflavored)
- Toppings of choice: Berries, gummy bears, chocolate chips — the sky’s the limit!
- Add Greek yogurt to a Stasher bag. Use the sandwich size for a single serving, or the Half Gallon Stasher to share. Add just enough so it lies flat when filled.
- Sprinkle in your toppings — as much as you want!
- Knead the bag to evenly mix your yogurt and toppings.
- Lay bag flat in the freezer for 3-4 hours.
- Remove from freezer and break up into smaller pieces with your hands while the concoction is still in the bag.
Fresh Raspberry Granita
Want to enjoy a fresh raspberry treat? This Italian semi-frozen iced dessert is the way to go!
- 2 pints of fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup white sugar (or to taste)
- ¼ cup water
- juice from half a lemon
- Rinse raspberries with cold water and drain. Transfer to a blender and add sugar, water, lemon juice.
- Pulse several times to get the mixture moving, then blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour into a Half Gallon bag. Purée should only be about ⅜” deep.
- Place bag in the freezer. Leave until mixture barely begins to freeze around the edges, around 45 minutes — it will still be slushy in the center.
- Remove bag from the freezer and knead it until it becomes more slushy.
- Put bag back in freezer and chill until nearly frozen. Then remove and knead about every 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat freezing and kneading 3-4 times, until the mixture looks dry and fluffy.
- Pour granita into small serving bowls, fluff gently with a fork and serve. Voila!
If you try these healthy, fun, naturally-minded treats out, we’d love to know! Tag us on Instagram to show off your creation!