Adaptogenic Sweet Potato Overnight Oats
In honor of March being National Women’s Month, we only found it fitting to share a hormone balancing breakfast recipe. It’s warming on the digestive system and packed full of regulating nutrients. We also love this recipe because there are zero added sugars!
Whether you’re an adaptogen pro or new to the game, Maca (a root vegetable superfood native to Peru) is one of the most popular hormone-regulating tools. And by hormones, specifically, we're talking about estrogen! No matter if you're in the beginning stages of starting a family or navigating menopause, estrogen is a woman's most vital hormone.
Maca's ability to regulate estrogen levels may help improve reproductive health and fertility and decrease symptoms related to conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). It can also boost your sex drive (oh heeey); reduce menopause-associated depression and anxiety; enhance energy, mood and memory; and help fight chronic disease. (1)
Another way we're helping regulate estrogen is by avoiding the endocrine disruptors commonly found in plastics, such as BPA. Once BPA enters the blood stream (by leeching into your food and beverages from plastics and other containers) it imitates estrogen, tricking your body into decreasing hormone production. (2)
By using your 100% plastic-free, BPA-free silicone stasher bag, this prep is completely hormone-friendly.
Hormone Balancing Sweet Potato Porridge
- 1 cup oats or alternative hot cereal blend
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. milled flax seed
- pumpkin seeds + extra cinnamon to garnish
- Prep overnight oats by mixing 1 cup of old-fashioned oats with flax seed and 1 cup almond milk and store in a tightly sealed Stasher bag in the fridge. Let sit until morning!
- Either the night before or the morning of, peel, dice, and steam sweet potatoes in a 1/2 gallon Stasher bag until soft to the touch.
- Add steamed sweet potatoes to a blender with cinnamon, maca, and a touch of almond milk. Blend on high for about a minute or until a smooth puree is formed.
- Top overnight oats with the maca sweet potato mixture, pumpkin seeds, and extra cinnamon.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
1. Top 5 Maca Root Benefits and Nutrition by By Rachael Link, MS, RD https://draxe.com/top-5-maca-root-benefits-and-nutrition
2. Dirty Dozen Endocrine Disruptors: 12 Hormone-Altering Chemicals and How to Avoid Them by EWG.org https://www.ewg.org/research/dirty-dozen-list-endocrine-disruptors