Clean + Minimal Beauty Routine for a Healthy Gut & Skin
The Importance of Creating Routine
I never used to be a morning person until I started caring for my body. Throughout school, I would usually pry myself out of bed, slap some makeup on my face, head for the nearest cup of coffee and go on with my day. I dreaded mornings. Sound familiar at all?
One of the first things my naturopath recommended I do, and I now recommend to everyone struggling with health in some way, is to find a routine. Whether it be in the morning, in the evening, or even when you get off of work, find some space that stays consistent for self-care. Your body will thank you and I’m sure your friends won’t hate it if you’re on time.
One of my favorite, and easiest, routines is my natural beauty regimen every a.m.. I like to keep my makeup super minimal and clean for a couple of reasons:
- Your endocrine system will thrive! According to The EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Data Base, “The average adult uses 9 personal care products each day, with 126 unique chemical ingredients.” Makeup, shampoo, body wash, lotion, hair products, etc. All of these have the possibility of messing with your hormones. After switching to non-toxic beauty products I saw a remarkable change in my monthly cycle.
- Zero decision paralysis. You can sleep a little longer knowing your exact routine. After you perfect your morning practice, it takes only minutes. The fewer morning decisions you make, the more brain power for the rest of your day!
- It makes travel a breeze! I like to keep all of my beauty essentials in one sandwich size Stasher bag — nothing larger. This makes it super easy to take my makeup everywhere and anywhere. Especially if you just want to store it in your bag for touch-ups throughout the day. These travel-friendly bags are also translucent so my tools are always quick to find.
My Healthy Gut + Skin Routine
- Drink a glass of room temp water with optional lemon and take a daily probiotic — the oxygen in the water will wake you up while the temperature, lemon, and probiotic will awaken your digestive tract.
- Wipe face with a warm washcloth and roll with a chilled jade roller — jade rollers can stimulate blood circulation in the face, diminishing puffiness, wrinkles, and redness through lymphatic drainage. I found mine for $10 at Marshall’s!
- 5-minute makeup routine using what’s in my Stasher (see below).
- Get dressed.
- Throw together a nourishing lunch for the day — I like to batch prep veggies and protein to throw in a bowl.
What’s in My Stasher
I like to change up my natural beauty products every now and then, but here’s what I’m stashing in my bag now:
- Ursa Major – Fortifying Face Balm. This moisturizes and nourishes the skin. It’s great under makeup and plant-based!
- W3LL PEOPLE – mascara, liquid eye-liner, concealer, and SPF bb cream. I love focusing on my eyes for makeup with a subtle cat eye and big lashes while protecting my skin with some tinted SPF and concealer. All of these just happen to be favorite at the moment, they’re super light for summer skin.
- Jade Facial Roller – I always make sure to use this right after my serum or moisturizer and right before my makeup. This helps moisture penetrate through the skin and leaves a nice base for makeup.
That’s it! What's in your clean beauty stash?
This post was written by